Monday, May 30, 2005

Comedy Central

'Tis been a good year for the funny bone (apart from a horrible first job, where, I did, in the end, have the last laugh, so that counts as tickling my bone as well). My well-read aunt introduced me to Tom Sharpe's writings last year, and I was hooked on his stuff.

After Sharpe, it seems, there's been no turning back. In rapid succession, friends, acquaintances and miscellaneous readings have led me into the hilarious worlds of Nick Hornby, Carl Hiaasen and David Lodge. I highly recommend each of these writers. Sometimes laughter really is the best medicine.

4 Comments:

Blogger silau said...

Here's a couple more recommendations, if you haven't got to them yet:
Terry Pratchett - any book by him is pretty funny
Tibor Fischer - particularly Under The Frog and The Collector Collector
Michael Frayn-Headlong

also, if you like Carl Hiaasen, you'll probably like Elmore Leonard, the guy who wrote Be Cool and Get Shorty.

Nice blog, btw.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Roshan said...

where are you? post, no?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

5:22 PM  
Anonymous about Facelift said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a Facelift site/blog. It pretty much covers Facelift related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home